When, Why, and How Should Air Ducts Be Cleaned?
- July 08, 2013
Air ducts are an important part of your air conditioner system, and should be maintained and cleaned when necessary.
When to clean
It’s a good idea to fit your air duct cleaning in with the rest of your household spring cleaning chores. In addition, as there are parts of the air ducts that are inaccessible to normal vacuuming you should ask your HVAC technician to check them and clean them if need be.
Why should air ducts be cleaned?
Dirty or contaminated air ducts may be a source of air pollution in your home, and could be spreading allergens into the air.
Clean air ducts if the following apply:
- Mold is growing in the metal ducts.
- Rodents or have infested the air ducts.
- Dust and debris is so thick that particles are being released into your home through the supply registers.
How are air ducts cleaned?
You can partially clean the air ducts yourself:
- Turn off the air conditioner system.
- Using the crevice tool on your cleaner, vacuum the vents and surrounding area.
- Remove the vents and wash them in liquid detergent.
- Vacuum the air ducts as far as you can reach.
- Replace the vents once they are completely dry.
Your HVAC technician will be able to do a more thorough and in-depth cleaning if it is necessary. Specialized equipment, such as high-efficiency particle air (HEPA) vacuums, should be used, and care must be taken to ensure that the ducts are correctly resealed.
Prevention is best
Should air ducts be cleaned? Experts are still grappling with that question. In the meantime, the best way to prevent your air ducts from becoming clogged with dirt is to:
- Purchase the highest quality filters.
- Clean and replace filters regularly.
- Ask your HVAC technician to clean cooling coils and drain pans when seasonal services are undertaken.
- Prevent moisture entering the air ducts by immediately sealing any leaks and never using water to clean ducts.
If you require more information about cleaning air ducts, please contact Comfort Services today! We serve the North Carolina region, including Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Sanford, Laurinburg and Whispering Pines.