Run Through This Fall Home Heating Checklist Before Cooler Breezes Blow In
- September 11, 2013
As summer winds down, it’s time to start thinking about getting your home and your heating system ready for colder weather. Take a look at our comprehensive fall home heating checklist to get you on your way.
- Inspect your ductwork. Prevent your conditioned air from escaping before it reaches your living space, by looking for any cracks or breaks in your ducts. In addition to heat loss, leaky ducts may draw in cold air from unconditioned spaces and harmful gases or other pollutants, decreasing your indoor air quality. Inspecting and repairing ductwork each fall may save you as much as 20 percent on your heating bills and leave you breathing easier.
- Call to schedule a fall tune-up. No fall home heating checklist is complete without annual preventive maintenance. A comprehensive tune-up should include an inspection, cleaning and lubrication of your heating equipment and recalibration to ensure optimum performance through the winter. This service can help prevent costly repairs down the road, increase efficiency and keep your family comfortable throughout heating season.
- Install a programmable or smart thermostat. Plan ahead to save energy by programming the unit to automatically lower the temperature during the times you are away or asleep and to raise it 30 minutes before you rise or arrive home.
- Upgrade your equipment. If you are considering replacing your heating equipment, now is the time. Rising energy costs, frequent repair bills and subpar performance can all be rectified with a new high efficiency unit, and at this time of year contractors have the time to install your new unit around your schedule.
- Change your filter. A dirty or clogged filter hampers airflow and decreases the efficiency of your unit. Start the season off right with a clean filter and change it on a regular basis; every four to six weeks during peak season.
For help crossing off the items on your fall home heating checklist, call the experts at Comfort Services, Inc.. We are proud to serve the residents of Aberdeen, Laurinburg, Pinehurst, Sanford, Southern Pines, Whispering Pines and the surrounding areas.