Need an HVAC Contractor? 7 Tips to Help You Find the Best
- September 03, 2013
At some point in your life, there’s a good chance that you’re going to need to hire an HVAC contractor or find a new one. When this happens, don’t sweat it too much. Instead of letting it stress you out, simply follow these seven tips:
- Learn local requirements — Each area has specific licensing and insurance requirements for HVAC technicians. Contact your local government and check to see what is needed, then check with any potential contractors to make sure they’re in line.
- Obtain referrals — Do you have a family member or friend who has had recent contractor work done? Find out who they used — as long as they did a good job, of course.
- Check references — Ask the contractor for a list of references. Contact each person on the list and ask questions pertaining to the work they had done.
- Inquire about special offers — HVAC contractors often have special offers for certain services. Either give them a call or check the company’s website for any such discounts.
- Be ready for a home evaluation — Your new technician will initially want to check your home to get any idea of your equipment, the state of your ductwork, overall energy efficiency, etc. Once the home evaluation is completed, he’ll be able to advise you on any services that might be needed to improve your home’s comfort level.
- Ask about the use of Energy Star equipment — Even though the cost of the equipment may be higher, installation of Energy Star-backed equipment should be recommended by a good technician due to the level of energy and money savings while it’s in operation.
- Require written estimates — Many jobs necessitate the gathering of estimates to make sure you’re getting the best work possible. Compare elements like price, time completion, etc. Don’t trust a price that seems too low, though, as shoddy materials might be used.
For more expert advice on selecting an HVAC contractor, or for questions relating to home comfort, please contact the professionals at Comfort Services. We currently serve the HVAC needs of Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Sanford, Laurinburg, Whispering Pines, and the surrounding areas.