Energy Efficient Home Trends That Will Make Their Way to North Carolina in 2015
- December 22, 2014
Energy efficiency is hot topic these days, and energy-efficient innovations, plus some tried-and-true energy saving tactics, are strong home trends in 2015. By adding green features to your Laurinburg home, you should see your energy bills decrease, but not your home comfort.
In fact, your house will likely become more comfortable when you pay extra attention to efficiency. Let the savings begin when you incorporate some of these environmentally friendly home trends in 2015:
- Airtight homes – Keep the weather out of your home and conditioned air in. Locate and seal drafts and air leaks with weather stripping for doors and windows and caulk for cracks. Seal penetrations that create gaps around water pipes, electrical outlets, TV cables and more.
- Tight ductwork – Tight ducts can be the biggest energy saver for homeowners. A sealed duct system ensures that heated or cooled air actually makes it to the rooms of your home instead of being wasted through holes in ducts. If ducts contain mold or contaminant buildup, consider duct cleaning first. Ask your local HVAC expert for advice.
- Adequate insulation – Inspect the insulation for moisture or settling, adding more if needed in exterior walls, attic, flooring and around ducts that run through unconditioned spaces. The HVAC system won’t have to work so hard to keep your properly insulated home cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Low emissivity windows – Made with advanced coatings to limit heat transfer, these windows can also block UV rays that might otherwise fade home furnishings.
- Efficient lighting – CFL or LED light bulbs help increase your home’s energy efficiency. Use photocells and timers to turn lights off when not needed.
- Energy efficient appliances – Let the Energy Star label be your guide when it’s time to replace appliances and/or home comfort equipment.
- Full-featured HVAC – Variable speed furnaces, heat pumps and programmable thermostats are just some of the efficiency and convenience features available with the latest HVAC systems and as upgrades.
For more expert advice about energy efficient home trends in 2015, contact Comfort Services, Inc. We proudly serve homeowners in and around Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Sandford, Laurinburg and Whispering Pines.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com