As the summer warms up, so does your home. If you want to keep your cooling costs down, you’ll want to find ways to keep your home comfortable while using less air conditioning.
5 Money-Saving Tips
Here are five ways you can use less air conditioning and save more money:
- Improve your home’s insulation and air sealing. Any hot air or heat transfer that gets into your home will drive up your cooling costs. Make sure the attic has recommended levels of insulation. Ensure that there are no air leaks between your attic and your living space.
- Get rid of inefficient appliances and light bulbs. Old appliances and inefficient incandescent bulbs all give off excess heat. This heats up your interior space, making the A/C work harder.
- Change your exterior finishes for a “cool” effect. When it comes time to replace your roofing or siding, consider a lighter color finish or one that’s engineered for cooling. This can reduce your cooling costs up to 15 percent.
- Keep the sun from getting in the house. The sun can bring a lot of heat into your home. Use horizontal trellises on your east- and west-facing windows. Use deciduous foliage and climbing plants to block the southern sun.
- Use air movement and ventilation to cool your home. Fans use less energy than the A/C does. Ceiling fans can make you feel cooler than the thermostat temperature. A whole-house fan is an option for older homes without central air.
These are just a few ways you can use less air conditioning and save more money. If you want to learn other ways, please contact us here at Comfort Services, Inc. We proudly serve our neighbors in Aberdeen, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Sanford, Laurinburg and Whispering Pines.